Wednesday, March 11, 2015

What I like about acrylics and pastels.


They seem to be such a basic combination. But the combination can result in stunning results.
I have worked on many surfaces over the years and never have found a favorite surface.
Here are a few pieces that some that I had fun with. I was pretty deep into illustration in those years.
Getting paid to experiment and find my way was a fun life.

Granted these are pretty simple but then I like simple and to the point.

 Ballet Dancer Resting.

Acrylic wash on heavy paper with a little spray fix over the pencil. Then I threw in white pastel to drag in the lighted areas. The acrylic can get to the just right opacity thru a layering approach. Once the reasonable half tone is done with a blurry almost abstract background feels good, just start picking out the areas you want to be in the light. Keep letting it build up until you get to a point you can throw in some bolder strokes to keep the piece in harmony. 

  





It looks pretty good in a simple frame you can pick up anywhere.
Her home is on a snug little wall as you come into the bedroom.
The Bride of Frankenstein. 
Acrylic wash on heavy paper with a little spray fix over the pencil. Then I threw in something akin to a cool skin tone, leaving the highlight area clean. I knew I wanted the hair to be very cold blue and laid that in. the pencil smudged some to gray it down.

While I am laying in the any area I wanted to be conscious of edges and have it bleed into the background.

As long as the drawing is sound any choices are a blend of discipline and abandon things will more than likely be satisfying for a fun accurate yet loose final piece.





Wedding Day Reception.
What a look.
Gouache and pastel pencil on ill. board.
Pretty much the same thing but gouache is creamier so you can get much more opaque and yet start out thin. the skin I had to start out pretty tight got get that accuracy of the face. I kind of went back and forth from background to foreground. It's very forgiving stuff to work with. Once you get the feel of bringing the image color up as you go along and take a thoughtful approach in your head you might get close to what your concept is. I like the loose and accurate look in these 2 am more satisfied as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment